Thursday, October 3, 2013

Embracing Beautiful Instability

Landed in NZ. On the ride from the airport into town, our bus broke down on the side of the highway. There were some 20 of us huddled on the shoulder enjoying the breeze, but having trouble keeping the cigarettes lit. The whole snafu put an instant smile on my face, as I remembered one of the key phrases for my trip: "embracing beautiful instability."


Checked into Room *** at my hostel in Auckland. (The first rule about ***, is you don't talk about ***...) A fortuitous assignment. On my first night, I hung out with the American girl who had been my server a few hours earlier. We trekked our way through the pouring rain to experience an authentic kiwi evening with some of her friends from uni (-versity). As much as I'm not here to meet Americans, Alana was a nice exception. More on the subject of Americans later.

On my first full day in Auckland, I joined roommates Jenni and Andy for some pick-up futbol in the park! Beautiful sunny day. Probably 22-24 C, so 75-80 F. While my bum knee kept me from participating, it felt great to be surrounded by such a known and adored sport. That evening, I set off on a solo mini-adventure. Hoping to hike to the top of Mt Eden that overlooks the whole city, I was warned to take the bus to the base instead of walking. Great, purchased a ticket, got on the bus, and got off at the Mt Eden Rd stop. What I failed to realize was that I had chosen the first of many stops on Mt Eden Rd. Soooo I had to walk the extra miles anyway, which threw off my timing of arriving at the summit in time for sunset. Oh well haha... Nothing to do but chuckle and appreciate the extra exercise. Early to bed that night.


My routine in Auckland consisted mostly of a morning stroll by myself as I hunted down small cafes and got familiar with the city center (and adjoining harbor). What a delightful time of day to spend with oneself. If I didn't get a good walk in the morning, I'd try to schedule a mid-day adventure. Late-afternoon/evening was reserved for naps, which left me plenty of energy for nightly romps.

I had a look at the weather to determine which day would be best for a trip to nearby Waiheke Island for some walking and some wine. Where to begin? The whole island was pitched as having countless walking paths and wine tours. I poured over a few maps and determined a general plan of action. What I thought would be a leisurely day turned out to be a substantial first experience with true NZ landscape. With the good fortune of a few wrong turns, I found myself tramping along the coastline.. a coastline streaked with tiny trails from past hooves and personal triumphs. Outrageously stunning views welcome you around every turn. Sparkling creeks run beside you, sharing the journey and chattering as you go. Birds of (seemingly) every nationality sing you the songs of their homelands. Dark, dense rock formations and smooth, reaching palm fronds.. radiantly turquoise waters lapping against beaches of various colors, shapes, and sizes. My sandals slipping often but my spirit holding strong.

For three and a half hours, I trudged along the winding, introspective trails, stopping only to feel the breeze or to capture the experience in a photograph. I feel blessed that my body can lead me to such places and such emotions, though it scares me to think what would happen if that slippery step ended in a sprained ankle, miles from help.

After some worthy huffs and puffs, I set my sights on food and wine. Oh, a half hour til the next bus? Might as well enjoy a glass of wine and a bowl of French Onion soup*. Toured the rest of the island on my bus ride over to Stonyridge Vineyard. I was the only customer there, on a beautiful deck overlooking the 6.5 acre grounds. I splurged on the Premium Wine Tasting which featured four reds from the site. The flagship Bordeaux-style red wine, Larose, was phenomenal. A worthy nightcap on a successful day.


A few nights later, a subtly snobby Californian and I shared a discussion. He expressed that he was relieved to meet another American, as he "couldn't stand all these other accents." After taking a deep breath, I mentioned that interestingly enough, I felt I had already adopted what I call the Commonwealth Lilt - a friendly, upbeat, almost quizzical ending to my sentences. He quickly told me that this made me sound less assertive, and that assertiveness was one of the greatest benefits of being American.

Maybe I've been assertive, even aggressive, for too many years of my life. Maybe I've never really been proud to be an American. Maybe I am looking to avoid familiarity altogether on this trip. Or maybe this Cali dude was just so quietly arrogant that I had no desire to fire back. I used to be proud. Now being humble is the true display of pride and self worth.

"Humility as a display of pride."


Auckland provided me many nights of laughter, camaraderie, drinks, and dancing. Days were dictated by the funniest things: Tuesday you wait around until 8pm for $1 pizzas. Wednesday it's raining and money is tight, so we opt for the free art gallery tour. Wednesday night is my last big night in town, so we hop from in-room wine, to the usual spot, and on to the creepy Irish bar where inhibitions are peeled away to reveal killer dance moves. Julian is a legend. Oasis' meltdown is still a heartbreaker. And sometimes you need to take a detour along the water - because it's cool to do romantic things with just yourself. Thursday you hang around the room because it's a family priority helping Laura study for her job trial.


Family is everywhere if you're willing to accept the challenge. If you're okay with being vulnerable in front of semi-strangers. If you take the time to share your passions with the girls next door. If you dare to choose adventure instead of conformity. If you are willing to embrace instability, you just might find the beautiful, quiet security within.

~~~~

* French Onion soup: perhaps my favorite food; definitely my favorite soup.

PVs:
1) Learning Celsius. Nowhere near as tricky as the lb/kg and mi/km conversions. Still workin on those..
2) Resisting the urge to play soccer, when it could have ruined the rest of my trip.
3) Allowing myself to take selfies. Never a pastime of mine, but they make sense when traveling.

~~~~

PHOTOS (Can't do captions on phone)
1. Bus broken down on side of highway
2. Pickup soccer on a beautiful afternoon
3. Overlooking Auckland from Mt Eden, after the sunset ha
4. Tramping along Waiheke Island coast
5. View from the French Onion spot
6. Private wine tasting at Stonyridge Vineyard
7. The only permissible duck face
8. This sign was up all week as NZ was winning 8-1.. The whole country went into mourning after they lost 9-8
9. Myself, Jenni, Andy, Julian, and Laura. Dorm mates from Room ***
10. Julian and Laura at the usual spot
11. The legendary performance of Eye of the Tiger?
12. Romancing Yourself Part 1
13. Just near my hostel. One helluva hill.

























2 comments:

  1. *Emily: perhaps my favorite cousin; definitely my favorite American.

    I am so glad you're having a good time. Big big love. xo

    ReplyDelete

Say hello!